The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike to Work

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bike to Work Empty Bike to Work

Post  LTRT Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 am

'Bike to Work Week' gets grim start
http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/998873,CST-NWS-bike11.article

One bicyclist was dead and another injured two days into a week promoting safe bicycle commuting in the Chicago area.
From what I witness here in town on a daily basis, I think I'll continue to dump gas in the tank.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Bike to Work Empty Re: Bike to Work

Post  IrishGuy Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:42 am

I was driving down North River Road last week (two lane very curvy road) and there were two, about 12 year old boys, riding their bikes on the centerline of the road making cars slow down both directions to go around them. They're only 12 years old or so, but that is stupid.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:15 pm

I like to bike, and this is a noble effort to promote less dependence on oil, but gas is going to have to get awfully high before I would consider biking to work in Fort Wayne, let alone Chicago. The problem is that you have roads designed for fast vehicles, and sidewalks designed for slow pedestrians, and nothing in between. Biking on the road is dangerous for the biker, while biking on the sidewalk is dangerous for the pedestrian. Until sidewalks/trails are made wide enough for both, like Aboite Trails is doing, it won't be safe enough.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:19 pm

Markwes wrote:I like to bike, and this is a noble effort to promote less dependence on oil, but gas is going to have to get awfully high before I would consider biking to work in Fort Wayne, let alone Chicago. The problem is that you have roads designed for fast vehicles, and sidewalks designed for slow pedestrians, and nothing in between. Biking on the road is dangerous for the biker, while biking on the sidewalk is dangerous for the pedestrian. Until sidewalks/trails are made wide enough for both, like Aboite Trails is doing, it won't be safe enough.

Yea, and biking on the sidewalk is a pain because you cant get into any sort of rhythym because of the curbs, places where the sidewalk starts and stops, plus some of the sidewalks are in really crappy shape.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:28 pm

I live about 9 miles away from work and the thought has crossed my mind of biking to work, but it would probably take me at least an hour, plus like Markwes said, there just aren't enough options to make it feasible without risking life or limb all in the name of saving a few bucks. And then I'd be sweaty and there is no on-site shower. I figure it costs me 1 gallon of gas a day to drive back and forth to work, and so far, I can live with that.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Markwes and Cincy, where is the general area of town where you live and work. Ok, Cincy I know you live in the Georgetown area.

I ask because there are major pushes in the City with trail projects. Many of which are federally funded and have timelines involved. I'm sure everyone is aware of the Oprah's Big Give thingy here in the Fort which all of that money is going toward new trails.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:42 pm

The primary issue for me is not the traffic or the sidewalks.

It me stewing in my own gravy for at least an hour from this fat guy riding a freaking bike to work.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:54 pm

Oliver's Army wrote:The primary issue for me is not the traffic or the sidewalks.

It me stewing in my own gravy for at least an hour from this fat guy riding a freaking bike to work.

I hear that. Plus you can't really strap a baby seat to a bike.

Lets see, work to pick up daughter to home is approximately 20 miles. I don't like driving that far, so too far to ride.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm actually moving into a new office by the end of this week, where I'll be 2.5-3 miles away from home. Being so close, it might seem pointless to try and reduce the gas I use, but it would definitely add up over time. So right now, I'm trying to find a back road that would allow me to actually bike to work, but it looks like that might be a tall order. The sweat and stuff wouldn't be so great, either, but I think that it wouldn't be a huge issue unless I was really trying to high-tail it in to work.

Oh, and I guess I would need to find myself a bike, too. Razz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:59 pm

In 5 years time everyone will be suprised with how many additional miles of trails there will be in Fort Wayne compared to now.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:07 pm

IrishGuy wrote:I'm sure everyone is aware of the Oprah's Big Give thingy here in the Fort which all of that money is going toward new trails.

Yes, we all heard about this, but wasn't the Big Give money appointed to the Aboite area. Neutral
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Now if there was just an up to date electronic map, say Map Point, or maybe Google Earth
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:51 pm

IrishGuy wrote:Markwes and Cincy, where is the general area of town where you live and work. Ok, Cincy I know you live in the Georgetown area.

I ask because there are major pushes in the City with trail projects. Many of which are federally funded and have timelines involved. I'm sure everyone is aware of the Oprah's Big Give thingy here in the Fort which all of that money is going toward new trails.
I live in southwest and work in northeast. It's the latter one that I can't envision biking on. Maplecrest, State, and pretty much any roads in that area are just not bike-friendly. The Greenway works well for getting me as far the Johnny Appleseed area, but after that...
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Johnny Appleseed is going to be connected to Shoaf very soon. If not yet this year then next.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:00 pm

http://www.fortwayneparks.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=52

So I am in idiot as far as linking pdf the message board. Go to the above website and under "Trail Brocure and Maps" there are links to two pdf files. One is a map of projects and the other is a key to the map.

There are other trail projects in addition to what is on this map. With new road projects or development projects, usually part of the requirements include adding a 10' trail along the right of way.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Thanks for the info! Yeah, this will be great when they get these projects completed.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:27 am

Markwes wrote:
IrishGuy wrote:Markwes and Cincy, where is the general area of town where you live and work. Ok, Cincy I know you live in the Georgetown area.

I live in southwest and work in northeast. It's the latter one that I can't envision biking on. Maplecrest, State, and pretty much any roads in that area are just not bike-friendly. The Greenway works well for getting me as far the Johnny Appleseed area, but after that...

We should start carpooling.. I live in Aboite and work in Georgetown.. the idea of biking that is a bit more than I could handle.. I'd have to leave the house at like 6:30 to get to work by 8:00.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:21 am

cardinal5150 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

We should start carpooling.. I live in Aboite and work in Georgetown.. the idea of biking that is a bit more than I could handle.. I'd have to leave the house at like 6:30 to get to work by 8:00.
Yeah, and more often than not I have to play taxi driver for my kids after work. Telling them "I'll give you a ride in an hour and a half when I get there" just doesn't cut it.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:58 am

Markwes wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

Yeah, and more often than not I have to play taxi driver for my kids after work. Telling them "I'll give you a ride in an hour and a half when I get there" just doesn't cut it.

hehehe.. they have bikes don't they?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Hoosiers urged to ‘dump the pump'

With high gas prices taking a larger bite out of our budgets, there's no better time than the present to consider finding alternative ways to get to work, and thereby “dumping the pump.”

Thursday is National Dump the Pump Day, so I am encouraging Hoosiers to consider doing just that — dump the pump. Our addiction to fossil fuel has helped perpetuate our driving habits, but the high cost of gas has led us straight into the quandary of feeding this addiction versus cutting back our fuel consumption.

As with all challenges, solutions abound. There are cost-efficient ways to get to work while cutting back on fuel use, improving our health and preserving the environment. The most obvious alternative is using public transportation when available.

When public transportation is not an option, consider riding your bike. IDEM's health and safety director, Dave Appel, regularly rides his bike to and from work 50 miles each way. He lives in Bloomington and works in Indianapolis. Dave says that by riding his bike to work roundtrip, not only does he save between $12-14 but he receives tremendous health benefits because he burns 2000-plus calories a day. While this may be an extreme example, it clearly illustrates that pedal power does have its benefits.

If you live within walking distance from your workplace, I would encourage you to set your alarm clock a little bit early, leave your car keys at home, put on a pair of comfortable walking shoes and hit the pavement. I walk to work every day, and my morning stroll gives me time to gather my thoughts for the day ahead, while walking home gives me the opportunity to unwind.

By trying an alternative way to get to work for just one day, Thursday, you might find that you like it. I can guarantee you will like saving money while reducing air emissions and improving your health. I know I do.

Thomas Easterly
Indiana Department of Environmental Management Commissioner

Ok, you guys have NO excuse! Get on your bike and ride! Laughing

"50 miles each way" affraid "extreme example", I call him and extreme idiot
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:38 pm

LTRT wrote:Ok, you guys have NO excuse! Get on your bike and ride! Laughing

Ha! You first!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

Ha! You first!

Wait on me........
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:47 pm

LTRT wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

Ha! You first!

Wait on me........
I ain't gonna hold my breath though... Wink
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:48 pm

LTRT wrote:"50 miles each way" affraid "extreme example", I call him and extreme idiot
Okay, I have a speedometer on my bike, so I know I average about 12 MPH. Let's assume this guy is in better condition than me (safe assumption!) and averages 15 MPH. That's still over 3 hours each way, so 6 hours consumed each day travelling. If he works 8 hours and sleeps 8 hours, he's got 2 hours of free time each day. I somewhat doubt this.

By the way, I did a 50 mile ride once and could hardly move for a week.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:57 pm

I think I'm actually going to try the bike to work thing. I've been scoping out the best routes in a car and I think I have a pretty good one that would require minimal travel on busy roads.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next