The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starbucks Closing stores

+6
IrishGuy
Shopaholic
Markwes
Scooby01_98
Canuck
LTRT
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Starbucks Closing stores Empty Starbucks Closing stores

Post  LTRT Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:58 pm

AP
Starbucks closing 600 stores in the US
Tuesday July 1, 4:26 pm ET
Starbucks closing 600 underperforming stores in the United States

SEATTLE (AP) -- Starbucks Corp. has announced it's closing 600 underperforming stores in the United States.
The Seattle-based premium coffee company also announced Tuesday it expects to open fewer than 200 new company-operated stores in the United States in fiscal 2009.

The company says it will try to place workers from closed stores in remaining Starbucks.

Bummer, and I was just getting used to seeing them on every corner. Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Starbucks Closing stores Empty Re: Starbucks Closing stores

Post  Canuck Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:05 pm

I guess people are fed up with paying $5.00 for a latte and McChoke and Puke's coffee is making a dent in their sales.
Or is it Dunkin Donut that is giving them a run for the bean?
For us in Canada it is Tim Horton's, Second Cup, Timothy's and roast your own beans is getting to be quite popular here too.

I do hope they get to place the employees.

Bman, your Starbucks closing?
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:20 pm

Starbucks sucks. I'll take my cheap Dunkin Donuts coffee black, please.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:49 pm

Not surprising when they put them right next to each other. Example here center court Glenbrook, then Barne & Noble 2 stores down. Jefferson Point by old navy another in Barnes & Noble. One in the Meijer store on Lima road, one in the strip of shops in front of Meijer.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:09 pm

Jugomugo wrote:Starbucks sucks. I'll take my cheap Dunkin Donuts coffee black, please.

Yes, that's a definite.

Scooby01_98 wrote:Not surprising when they put them right next to each other. Example here center court Glenbrook, then Barne & Noble 2 stores down. Jefferson Point by old navy another in Barnes & Noble. One in the Meijer store on Lima road, one in the strip of shops in front of Meijer.

And yes, that's also a definite.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:10 pm

Canuck wrote:I guess people are fed up with paying $5.00 for a latte and McChoke and Puke's coffee is making a dent in their sales.

I know a LOT of people who prefer DD over Starbucks. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I don't have an opinion.

Not surprising when they put them right next to each other. Example here center court Glenbrook, then Barne & Noble 2 stores down.
And don't forget the 'Bucks directly across from the mall and the one at Glenbrook Target.
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 464

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:11 pm

Canuck wrote:I guess people are fed up with paying $5.00 for a latte and McChoke and Puke's coffee is making a dent in their sales.
For us in Canada it is Tim Horton's, Second Cup, Timothy's and roast your own beans is getting to be quite popular here too.

I do hope they get to place the employees.

Bman, your Starbucks closing?

I don't know ... I gotta ask. This is depressing news, if Starbuck at Coventry closes my options on my way to work will be Lassus Handy Dandy, Marathon, McDonalds or Arby's. The bastards closed our cafeteria at work.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:37 pm

I read that the store closing were in store that were open less than 3 years.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:04 pm

Nothing like blatant corporate greed on the part of Bucks when they started putting them inside the stores. I also think their coffee sucks and all I've ever bought from them is a small house decaf. Smile
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:47 pm

The Dunkin Donuts on Coldwater Rd. is supposed to open sometime this month. McD's actually has some half way decent coffee in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see if any of the local Starbucks close. If one were to close, I think it will be one out northwest. There is one at the corner of Auburn Rd/Dupont Rd, Dupont Rd/Lima Rd, Lima Rd Meijer, in front of Lima Rd Meijer. Mix in a couple of Higher Grounds and whatever Aspen Coffeehouse is these days as competition and one of those Starbucks could be toast.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Not a fan of Starbucks for 2 reasons:

1) $5+ for one coffee is Freaking Joke, when a whole can is only $6.
2) Ever since they charged the fireman/police at Ground Zero for water on 9/11, I have refused to give them a dime!!

Greedy Bastards deserve to close!
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:15 pm

Believe it or not, like Shop, I'm not a coffee drinker at all, nor am I a tea drinker. Give me water, diet pop, and the occassional milkshake every 6 months, and I'm good to go.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:52 pm

McDonald's coffee is STRONG.

Dunkin Donuts coffee = awesome.

Starbucks = overpriced crap.

Folger's from my coffee pot in my office = better than all of them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 am

Try Starbucks coffee crumb cake ... it ROCKS!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:33 am

Methinks we know who the Starbucks fan is, don't we?

Not looking in Bman's direction or anything like that.... Twisted Evil
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:28 am

iberlingirl wrote:Not a fan of Starbucks for 2 reasons:

1) $5+ for one coffee is Freaking Joke, when a whole can is only $6.
2) Ever since they charged the fireman/police at Ground Zero for water on 9/11, I have refused to give them a dime!!

Are you serious they charged for water there confused confused Question Question Question

Holy shit batman afro
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:13 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Believe it or not, like Shop, I'm not a coffee drinker at all, nor am I a tea drinker. Give me water, diet pop, and the occassional milkshake every 6 months, and I'm good to go.

I am also not a coffee drinker. I think the most telling sign of how coffee tastes is that the most expensive coffee you can find is Kopi Luwak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:16 am

Canuck wrote:Methinks we know who the Starbucks fan is, don't we?

Not looking in Bman's direction or anything like that.... Twisted Evil

It must be something in the water... Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:43 am

Bman, Since I made a comment not too long ago about you and a cup of coffee in the morning, I know how important it must be. Allow me to offer a few humble suggestions to get your fix.

Jugomugo wrote:Starbucks sucks. I'll take my cheap Dunkin Donuts coffee black, please.
There's a Dunkin Donuts on Jefferson exactly 1.47 mi farther up the road than where you turn for work Bman. 3 extra miles per day at $4.15/gal in a gas guzzling SUV makes a Dunkin Donuts coffee cost about as much as a Tall Starbucks Latte. Also, if you really want gourmet espresso based coffee, in that same shopping center is the Espresso Gallery coffee shop, and they have a drive-thru. Total est. gas cost = $0.75, Time required = 15 minutes, max.
Fleek wrote:McDonald's coffee is STRONG.
Dunkin Donuts coffee = awesome.
Starbucks = overpriced crap.
Folger's from my coffee pot in my office = better than all of them.
I love Folgers... it's the best part of waking up! Maxwell House is decent. I prefer to use distilled water when making any kind of coffee. Water makes the pot! I get the pot ready at night and turn it on first thing when I wake up. I'm too lazy to set the dang timer. Anyways, whenever the power goes out so does the alarm, IMHO they timers are useless.
iberlingirl wrote:Not a fan of Starbucks for 2 reasons:
You and I both love to hate greedy bastards don't we Bman?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:50 am

Expresso Gallery is good ... I don't want to drive PAST my place of employment and then drive back to work. I usually go to Expresso on Saturday mornings. I don't like Dunkin Donut coffee all that well. I like my Starbucks, plus they know my order in there ... lol. I don't get any of those fancy coffees at Starbucks, I just get a Venti medium blend with sugar free caramel and sugar free white mocha flavoring added. I add a splash of half and half and a little splenda and BAM ... my morning cup of Joe. By the way for a right wing show I don't mind Morning Cup of Joe on MSNBC.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:52 am

SavoyTruffle wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Believe it or not, like Shop, I'm not a coffee drinker at all, nor am I a tea drinker. Give me water, diet pop, and the occassional milkshake every 6 months, and I'm good to go.

I am also not a coffee drinker. I think the most telling sign of how coffee tastes is that the most expensive coffee you can find is Kopi Luwak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

They mentioned this in the movie "The Bucket List" ... lol Jack Nicholson drank this type of coffee I think. lol
I liked that movie ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:58 am

Bman wrote:Expresso Gallery is good ... I don't want to drive PAST my place of employment and then drive back to work. I usually go to Expresso on Saturday mornings. I don't like Dunkin Donut coffee all that well. I like my Starbucks, plus they know my order in there ... lol. I don't get any of those fancy coffees at Starbucks, I just get a Venti medium blend with sugar free caramel and sugar free white mocha flavoring added. I add a splash of half and half and a little splenda and BAM ... my morning cup of Joe. By the way for a right wing show I don't mind Morning Cup of Joe on MSNBC.
That sounds like a fancy coffee to me. Smile
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:01 am

Markwes wrote:
Bman wrote:Expresso Gallery is good ... I don't want to drive PAST my place of employment and then drive back to work. I usually go to Expresso on Saturday mornings. I don't like Dunkin Donut coffee all that well. I like my Starbucks, plus they know my order in there ... lol. I don't get any of those fancy coffees at Starbucks, I just get a Venti medium blend with sugar free caramel and sugar free white mocha flavoring added. I add a splash of half and half and a little splenda and BAM ... my morning cup of Joe. By the way for a right wing show I don't mind Morning Cup of Joe on MSNBC.
That sounds like a fancy coffee to me. Smile

I guess the days of "give me a cup of coffee" are long gone. Sad
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 am

Wow, I can't believe the Starbuck haters. After all this is the company everyone wants every company to be like. Coffee farmers being treated ethical (i.e. fair trade certified), health care insurance for full and part time workers, 401K, stock share, enviromentally friendly.

I find their prices really no different than Aspen or higher grounds.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:31 am

Scooby01_98 wrote:I find their prices really no different than Aspen or higher grounds.

And that is why I don't patronize them either. Very Happy
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down