The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inflate Your Tires

+3
Markwes
Canuck
LTRT
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Inflate Your Tires - Page 2 Empty Re: Inflate Your Tires

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:49 am

I was stayiong away, but obviously Obama here is stating that there are small things we can do that woulc avoid offshore drilling. For Obama to suggesst this is no more ribiculous than the current administration suggestion that offshore drilling will affect the price at the pump.

What I like about this is that Obama is clearly approaching the task from the right perspective. Use less, not get more.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:51 am

I really don't have a problem with what you're driving. I was just pointing out the double standard of your "save the environment" rhetoric when you drive an SUV.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:58 am

pez wrote:What I like about this is that Obama is clearly approaching the task from the right perspective. Use less, not get more.

How do we use less with ever increasing demand for fuel? IE: teen drivers, longer work commutes, etc.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:59 am

Markwes wrote:I really don't have a problem with what you're driving. I was just pointing out the double standard of your "save the environment" rhetoric when you drive an SUV.

Uhm, where's the double standard? Should he drive a Fit to appear less hypocritical? IMO, you seem to be trying to gag anyone who drives a car and speaks about any form of environmental conservation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:06 am

pez wrote:I was stayiong away, but obviously Obama here is stating that there are small things we can do that woulc avoid offshore drilling. For Obama to suggesst this is no more ribiculous than the current administration suggestion that offshore drilling will affect the price at the pump.

What I like about this is that Obama is clearly approaching the task from the right perspective. Use less, not get more.
So, should I cancel my vacation plans where I planned on driving 300 miles each way? That would surely save more than putting another 5 pounds of pressure in my tires. It's a good tip, but the "blame the consumer" mentality is not the right approach.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:11 am

meta4 wrote:
Markwes wrote:I really don't have a problem with what you're driving. I was just pointing out the double standard of your "save the environment" rhetoric when you drive an SUV.

Uhm, where's the double standard? Should he drive a Fit to appear less hypocritical? IMO, you seem to be trying to gag anyone who drives a car and speaks about any form of environmental conservation.
This is Bman we are talking about. Do you seriously think he has just had a change of heart about the environment? I seem to recall on the old Board he mentioned being a liberal except for the tree-hugger part. Maybe Obama has something to do with it? Nah, couldn't be that.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:18 am

Markwes wrote:
pez wrote:I was stayiong away, but obviously Obama here is stating that there are small things we can do that woulc avoid offshore drilling. For Obama to suggesst this is no more ribiculous than the current administration suggestion that offshore drilling will affect the price at the pump.

So, should I cancel my vacation plans where I planned on driving 300 miles each way? That would surely save more than putting another 5 pounds of pressure in my tires. It's a good tip, but the "blame the consumer" mentality is not the right approach.

How is anyone but the consumer at fault? If you want to pay for your 300 mile trip, yea, go for it. Try to make sure your tires are properly inflated, and drive the speed limit.... this will save a gallon or two of gas. Multiply you by a billion and real change has taken place.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:23 am

pez wrote:
Markwes wrote:

How is anyone but the consumer at fault? If you want to pay for your 300 mile trip, yea, go for it. Try to make sure your tires are properly inflated, and drive the speed limit.... this will save a gallon or two of gas. Multiply you by a billion and real change has taken place.
True, so why stop there? Fixing your sprinkler that overwaters to one side will save water. Increasing the temperature in your refrigerator will cause food to spoil less quickly and drive down costs. Less skydivers means lower insurance premiums. Do you want your president to be Martha Stewart or a leader?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:27 am

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:

This is Bman we are talking about. Do you seriously think he has just had a change of heart about the environment? I seem to recall on the old Board he mentioned being a liberal except for the tree-hugger part. Maybe Obama has something to do with it? Nah, couldn't be that.

I'm not trying to speak for Bman but I also have never been as concerned about the environment as I have since feeling the changes in OUR environment living right here in NE Indiana for the last 30+ years. I.e. Hotter summers, and warmer winters.

Maybe the cost of gas had something to do with it? Nah. Maybe it was an 18 km chunk of the arctic breaking off? Nah. Maybe (and this is reaching) our athletes in Beijing choking on the air. Nah. Maybe it was the Exxon penalties being drastically reduced 20 years after the accident. Nah. Maybe it's our current Energy Policies and blatant wasteful management by contractors in Iraq. Nah. Maybe the pathetically lame solutions proposed by congress. Nah. Maybe he should not bring it up because gas is at $3.80 now... Nah.

FAIL
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:28 am

Markwes wrote:Fixing your sprinkler that overwaters to one side will save water.

I'm still waiting to hear how BHO will make it rain here so I don't have to use my sprinkler. Twisted Evil
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:36 am

meta4 wrote:...I have since feeling the changes in OUR environment living right here in NE Indiana for the last 30+ years. I.e. Hotter summers, and warmer winters.

scratch

That's funny, I seem to remember having the furnace on in May for the past couple of years. Maybe I was dreaming but I thought we had low 70's for highs in June. But then again, I didn't watch Al's movie either.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:38 am

LTRT wrote:
Markwes wrote:Fixing your sprinkler that overwaters to one side will save water.

I'm still waiting to hear how BHO will make it rain here so I don't have to use my sprinkler. Twisted Evil

Slow down here Mario ... It is not BHO running around saying and doing anything to get a vote. Just this week McCain went from thinking about raising taxes to definitely NO TAX INCREASES on my watch in order to keep his religious right wing in check. McCain is the one who went from no better than out of Iraq by the end of his first term to maybe 16 months. It is John McCain who opposed off shore drilling until it became politically en vogue to support that idea.

Seems like it is John McCain is appeaser and trying to be all things to all people. Just my humble opinion and I am sure most of you will say my jaded opinion, but I seem to think all of you are equally jaded.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:41 am

LTRT wrote:
meta4 wrote:...I have since feeling the changes in OUR environment living right here in NE Indiana for the last 30+ years. I.e. Hotter summers, and warmer winters.

scratch

That's funny, I seem to remember having the furnace on in May for the past couple of years. Maybe I was dreaming but I thought we had low 70's for highs in June. But then again, I didn't watch Al's movie either.

Do you remember Jimmy Carter with a sweater on? Hehe Cool

You haven't noticed the milder snowfall?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:41 am

Markwes wrote:
pez wrote:
Markwes wrote:

True, so why stop there? Fixing your sprinkler that overwaters to one side will save water. Increasing the temperature in your refrigerator will cause food to spoil less quickly and drive down costs. Less skydivers means lower insurance premiums. Do you want your president to be Martha Stewart or a leader?

Martha '12!!!!

A leader is someone that makes tough choices. The choice to focus on conservation rather than to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If we can implement reasonable conservation initiatives and it makes sense to drill offshore to decrease our dependence on non-US oil, then I'm up for it. But to drill for more oil only for the purposes of continuing our oil gluttony is asinine... we will only pass the problem on to future generations.

I think this is a really short sighted idea:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSWAT00987120080801?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

This is an obama proposal to give tax rebates to low and middle class in order to offset oil costs, and finance the rebates by taxing windfall profits of oil companies. IMHO, taking oil companies profits will only raise the price of gas.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:55 am

You know, for all the debate that seems to be leaning heavily on the next presidential candidate. I really think all of this discussion about what IS or MAY BE occurring in the environment can't break until something changes. I really expect the next big change, to stop a lot of unnecessary arguing will to come from new energy research.

Why doesn't it seem either of the candidates talking about this or endorsing research in a certain area?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:57 am

meta4 wrote:

I have since feeling the changes in OUR environment living right here in NE Indiana for the last 30+ years. I.e. Hotter summers, and warmer winters.

I'll throw a shovel full of bullshit in on this one, this year we had the coolest ever 4th of July on record. Global cooling. Of course, today it's about 117 degrees outside. scratch
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:57 am

pez wrote:I think this is a really short sighted idea:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSWAT00987120080801?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

This is an obama proposal to give tax rebates to low and middle class in order to offset oil costs, and finance the rebates by taxing windfall profits of oil companies. IMHO, taking oil companies profits will only raise the price of gas.

cheers

Hey Bman, do you agree?
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:59 am

IrishGuy wrote:
meta4 wrote:

I have since feeling the changes in OUR environment living right here in NE Indiana for the last 30+ years. I.e. Hotter summers, and warmer winters.

I'll throw a shovel full of bullshit in on this one, this year we had the coolest ever 4th of July on record. Global cooling. Of course, today it's about 117 degrees outside. scratch

Nice! You'll put your entire point on one day?

An chimpanzee can throw poo... Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Markwes wrote:

Asking conumers to be responsible and sensible is not blaming them.
Consumers has a responsiblity as well as the governments.
Just out of curiousity, do you any of you ever look at your own children, grand children, nephews, nieces and all the children around you and wonder what kind of a future they will have.
Have you observed the increase in health issues like asthma and allergies? And ever stop to think about what is causing all of this? Or do you just see it as a cycle that will fix itself in the future?

pez are you nuts? LOL, Use less not get more, that's a novel idea in this day and age.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Canuck wrote:Or do you just see it as a cycle that will fix itself in the future?

Canuck, you mean they don't have 'Automagic' in Canada? I thought everyone knew about that! I think it's an element or something... automagicium... it's awesome stuff. lol!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:21 pm

meta4 wrote:
Canuck wrote:Or do you just see it as a cycle that will fix itself in the future?

Canuck, you mean they don't have 'Automagic' in Canada? I thought everyone knew about that! I think it's an element or something... automagicium... it's awesome stuff. lol!

LOL, that bit of wizardry is only brewed in the white house. The cauldrons are bubbling with "automagic".
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:26 pm

So we all start to inflate our tires and drive slower.. gas goes down maybe $1... which is using wishful thinking.. what happens in a year from now when it rises back up to $4 and we're all driving less and keeping our cars in tip top shape? Where's the relief then?

And what about those who already do this? His solution is akin to telling someone to put a band aid on a cut.. it's something you SHOULD do anyway.

Besides, we all know that if people adjust their habits and gas prices fall that the old habits would come right back and gas prices would go right back up.

I don't think anyone disagree's with his message.. make sure you are doing everything you can to start... but that's not what people want to hear from a Presidential candidate, they want to hear how that person has an idea to lower prices, not demand. And maybe there isn't an answer to that.. but that's what people want to hear. Again.. he's giving the same advice that McCain is on gas prices... do what you can, suck it up for now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Canuck wrote:
Markwes wrote:So, should I cancel my vacation plans where I planned on driving 300 miles each way? That would surely save more than putting another 5 pounds of pressure in my tires. It's a good tip, but the "blame the consumer" mentality is not the right approach.

Asking conumers to be responsible and sensible is not blaming them.
Consumers has a responsiblity as well as the governments.
Just out of curiousity, do you any of you ever look at your own children, grand children, nephews, nieces and all the children around you and wonder what kind of a future they will have.
Have you observed the increase in health issues like asthma and allergies? And ever stop to think about what is causing all of this? Or do you just see it as a cycle that will fix itself in the future?

pez are you nuts? LOL, Use less not get more, that's a novel idea in this day and age.
Yes Canuck, of course I have wondered about the future my kids will have. I wasn't aware of an increase in allergies and asthma, but if there is, who knows what is causing it? It could be the tendency of kids to spend all their time indoors now and not get their bodies used to allergens. It could be that mommy takes Johnny to the doctor for every little ailment and now their immune systems are poor. And yes it could be from the environment, which does cycle over many years. The things I worry about more are that because of political agendas, my kids will have to pay more for light bulbs because some doofuses outlaw incandescent bulbs. I worry about my kids' rights being taken away in the name of the perceived betterment of the world. I worry about terrorists attacking our country again. I tend not to pick the flavor of the day as my biggest concern. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox. Surprised
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:39 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:So we all start to inflate our tires and drive slower.. gas goes down maybe $1... which is using wishful thinking.. what happens in a year from now when it rises back up to $4 and we're all driving less and keeping our cars in tip top shape? Where's the relief then?

And what about those who already do this? His solution is akin to telling someone to put a band aid on a cut.. it's something you SHOULD do anyway.

Besides, we all know that if people adjust their habits and gas prices fall that the old habits would come right back and gas prices would go right back up.

I don't think anyone disagree's with his message.. make sure you are doing everything you can to start... but that's not what people want to hear from a Presidential candidate, they want to hear how that person has an idea to lower prices, not demand. And maybe there isn't an answer to that.. but that's what people want to hear. Again.. he's giving the same advice that McCain is on gas prices... do what you can, suck it up for now.

You and I are talking about two different problems. I could care less about Gas prices. I care more about gas consumption. With conservation we can let gas prices stay where they are, because we will be buying less.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:40 pm

meta4 wrote:
Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:

I'm not trying to speak for Bman but I also have never been as concerned about the environment as I have since feeling the changes in OUR environment living right here in NE Indiana for the last 30+ years. I.e. Hotter summers, and warmer winters.

Maybe the cost of gas had something to do with it? Nah. Maybe it was an 18 km chunk of the arctic breaking off? Nah. Maybe (and this is reaching) our athletes in Beijing choking on the air. Nah. Maybe it was the Exxon penalties being drastically reduced 20 years after the accident. Nah. Maybe it's our current Energy Policies and blatant wasteful management by contractors in Iraq. Nah. Maybe the pathetically lame solutions proposed by congress. Nah. Maybe he should not bring it up because gas is at $3.80 now... Nah.

FAIL
You left off "Maybe the extreme left has screamed at you long enough and made you feel guilty for living excessively, all the while telling you to think about the children. And maybe you finally bought it.".
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next