The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi... can i buy your vote?

Go down

Hi... can i buy your vote? Empty Hi... can i buy your vote?

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:16 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obama

So most economists.. and most people in general.... felt the last round of "stimulus payments" was a bad idea and wouldn't really do anything other than a small shot to the arm (which is what happened). Now we're hearing ideas of a second stimulus and then we get the $1,000 "energy rebate".

Again.. doing nothing to address the problem.. but rather the effect (sounds like the argument for not doing any more drilling). But I wouldn't want to accuse him of doing anything to buy a vote.... I'd probably be called a racist.

Not to mention his idea to fund this rebate... the "windfall tax" would turn around raise energy prices, and could possibly cost us, the consumer, more than the rebate we'd get.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Hi... can i buy your vote? Empty Re: Hi... can i buy your vote?

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:19 pm

I see it as Obama trying to play a 'left bower' early against a rumored Bush plan to release another stimulus benefit in September.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:26 pm

The best part of this article was how Obama handled the hecklers ... and then had the courage and heart to call on one of the hecklers to address his question. McCain would have just had the hecklers removed and never called on them for a question.

As for the $1,000 energy rebate ... I think the stimulus are fine, but I would prefer to see them only go to people making less than a specific level of income. A $1,000 rebate does not mean anything to the CEO of a large company (probably just a few hundred options exercised out of their millions of options) but to a working family with kids it could help.

Buying votes? I assume you could try to make that case, I prefer to think of it as trying to help the little guy out a bit.

Let the bitching begin ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:31 pm

meta4 wrote:I see it as Obama trying to play a 'left bower' early against a rumored Bush plan to release another stimulus benefit in September.

I'm not a Euchre fan.. but I somewhat get the reference...

Personally I don't like any plan that gives money to the public simply because they want it.... Obama's been calling for a second stimulus package since June... http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1037655420080610

From what I've read the White House is against any more stimulus packages.. http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/white-house-calls-second-stimulus/story.aspx?guid={5A88E592-5603-44F1-B1E5-647A252E62E8}&siteid=rss
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:50 pm

Bman wrote:The best part of this article was how Obama handled the hecklers ... and then had the courage and heart to call on one of the hecklers to address his question. McCain would have just had the hecklers removed and never called on them for a question.

As for the $1,000 energy rebate ... I think the stimulus are fine, but I would prefer to see them only go to people making less than a specific level of income. A $1,000 rebate does not mean anything to the CEO of a large company (probably just a few hundred options exercised out of their millions of options) but to a working family with kids it could help.

Buying votes? I assume you could try to make that case, I prefer to think of it as trying to help the little guy out a bit.

Let the bitching begin ...
That's because the heckler was an obvious idiot with a "What's in it for me" attitude. I could have answered that question too.

Simple economics says taxing the oil companies = increase in price of oil.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Some McCain advisors think a second stimulus will be needed too ... so it is just not a democrat thing or an Obama thing ...

Clip from the article

Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Economy.com and an unpaid adviser to John McCain's campaign, thinks a second stimulus package will be needed. But, he said, nothing should be enacted before early 2009.

"Policymakers in office today should design it if needed when the next president is in office," Zandi said. "In early 2009, we'll have a better sense of what the backside of the [first stimulus package] looks like and we'll have a better sense of where we are in the housing downturn."

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/31/news/economy/stimulus2/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Well, one advisor thinks it is needed. I wouldn't claim that McCain is all for it because of that.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 pm

Also quite a difference to call for one right now and call for one to be designed for the next president if needed... though I'd oppose one regardless.

Lower taxes, quit giving cash for votes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down