The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration

+2
iberlingirl
Cincy Fan 44
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration Empty Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:08 pm

So what are your thoughts about the Inauguration itself?

I enjoyed it for the most part. The crowd size was impressive. Obama was obviously a little nervous when taking the oath as he messed up his lines, but I'm willing to give him a pass on that.

I didn't like the chanting of the "Nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey goodbye" song towards now former President Bush. Classless! I understand the feeling, but it was classless. Celebrate Obama's day. But I guess events like this bring out all kinds of people who don't know how to act in the situation they are in.

At any rate...cheers to our new president and his family. I hope that I don't regret voting for him in November and that I can go to the polls again in 4 years (provided I'm not dead) and vote for him again b/c he has done a good job at running our country.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration Empty Re: Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:14 pm

I think his speech was good. The oath flub, IMO, was partially Robert's fault but it's hard to tell. It sounded to me like Roberts transposed a couple words "faithfully, execute" and Obama paused to allow him to correct. I think both Roberts and Barack were nervous, both showed grace under pressure.

I watched for about 30 minutes at a restaurant (FoxNews) and they introduced GWB's inaugural speech writer for commentary. I only caught his comments by closed caption and thought it odd he had introduced criticism over the use of the words "war, defeat" so soon after the speech was delivered. Well, what did I expect from Fox anyhow?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration Empty Re: Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:22 pm

meta4 wrote:I think his speech was good. The oath flub, IMO, was partially Robert's fault but it's hard to tell. It sounded to me like Roberts transposed a couple words "faithfully, execute" and Obama paused to allow him to correct. I think both Roberts and Barack were nervous, both showed grace under pressure.
I agree, it was hard to tell after seeing it only the one time so far. I'm sure it's probably on youtube by now, so we can go back and monday-morning-quarterback it.

Kind of ironic that Obama took the oath of office from a guy he didn't vote for when Robert's was up for the Chief Justice position. I don't know if that has ever happened before, but it hasn't happened in the past 33 years at least that I can think of as every president since and including Carter was a governor prior to becoming president (except for Papa Bush).
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:29 pm

I watched the last half of the speech at a Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits on an old school TV with antenna.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:36 pm

I also found Fox's news coverage interesting at the point where the Bush's and Obama's were exchanging goodbye's at the helecoptor. The speaker (again, read this by closed caption) made highlight of how friendly the Bush's were, and that they are and have always been gracious hosts. They mentioned that the Bush's would house reporters in the White house - that's just the kind of people they are. And something to the effect of "regardless of policy or politics, the Bush's are decent people"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was hard to miss the obvious bias. Suspect Again, nothing new to report here! Just sayin'... FoxNews may either have to make slight format adjustments, or adjust the format of their 'slights'! Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I watched but could not hear the swearing in, from the bar in Chops.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:46 pm

meta4 wrote:I also found Fox's news coverage interesting at the point where the Bush's and Obama's were exchanging goodbye's at the helecoptor. The speaker (again, read this by closed caption) made highlight of how friendly the Bush's were, and that they are and have always been gracious hosts. They mentioned that the Bush's would house reporters in the White house - that's just the kind of people they are. And something to the effect of "regardless of policy or politics, the Bush's are decent people"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was hard to miss the obvious bias. Suspect Again, nothing new to report here! Just sayin'... FoxNews may either have to make slight format adjustments, or adjust the format of their 'slights'! Very Happy
Eh, they all have their slights. I watched it on NBC. They were saying how Bush will probably look more "youthful" in another month or so after the rigors of the job have worn off. They said how different it was for Bush as compared to when Clinton left office. They said Clinton was up all night the night before as the pardoning of Mark Rich hit the fan, and how worn out Clinton looked that day. As a side note...I noticed today that Bill wasn't smiling too much on his way to his seat for the Inauguration. Sour grapes? Beats me.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:07 pm

I didn't see it except for the end of the speech. Then someone started reading poetry and I had to turn it to ESPN.

Meta, before I pass judgement on Fox's coverage, I'm just curious what references were made to war and defeat in Obama's speech.

Cincy, I agree that singing the goodbye song to Bush is classless. In all fairness, though, if I heard correctly, there were some booing when Obama was introduced, which is pretty classless too.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I didn't like the chanting of the "Nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey goodbye" song towards now former President Bush. Classless! I understand the feeling, but it was classless. Celebrate Obama's day. But I guess events like this bring out all kinds of people who don't know how to act in the situation they are in.

You also have to consider that Bush was one of the most hated and unpopular presidents in American history. I was commenting to coworkers that someone should be singing that song when Bush is leaving. Glad to see it happened.

Who cares about class. The guy deserves a bullet to the head.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Jugomugo wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I didn't like the chanting of the "Nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey goodbye" song towards now former President Bush. Classless! I understand the feeling, but it was classless. Celebrate Obama's day. But I guess events like this bring out all kinds of people who don't know how to act in the situation they are in.

You also have to consider that Bush was one of the most hated and unpopular presidents in American history. I was commenting to coworkers that someone should be singing that song when Bush is leaving. Glad to see it happened.

Who cares about class. The guy deserves a bullet to the head.

nah ... I don't like Bush and Cheney but no bullet to their heads ... well maybe some buckshot into Cheney's face. They are gone ... good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I read that Roberts missed a whole line in the oath but Obama covered for him and said the oath as required.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:So what are your thoughts about the Inauguration itself?

I enjoyed it for the most part. The crowd size was impressive. Obama was obviously a little nervous when taking the oath as he messed up his lines, but I'm willing to give him a pass on that.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28753348/

The former Illinois senator indicated he was, and Roberts started reciting — and Obama repeating — the 35-word oath that is prescribed by the Constitution.

But at one point, Obama paused abruptly after Roberts reversed several words in the oath.

The oath includes the phrase "that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States" but Roberts didn't say "faithfully" until after saying "president of the United States."

Obama apparently realized that something was out of order.

With Obama not reciting, Roberts then repeated the phrase correctly, ending a brief awkward moment and putting the oath back on track.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Markwes wrote:Meta, before I pass judgement on Fox's coverage, I'm just curious what references were made to war and defeat in Obama's speech.

The references made by the critic or by Obama? I think the critic's point was that these words were present in the speech.

I didn't mean to sound like I was passing judgment... just chuckling at how quickly FoxNews delivered criticism on Obama. I mean, they couldn't let the guy have even an hour or a couple of hours. "Naw, lets just bite down hard... NOW!"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Bman wrote:The oath includes the phrase "that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States" but Roberts didn't say "faithfully" until after saying "president of the United States."
Maybe that's a Freudian slip with Roberts saying he doesn't have any faith in Obama. Very Happy
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:56 pm

I also noticed that the "so help you God" seemed to be asked in the form of a question.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:58 pm

meta4 wrote:The references made by the critic or by Obama? I think the critic's point was that these words were present in the speech.

I didn't mean to sound like I was passing judgment... just chuckling at how quickly FoxNews delivered criticism on Obama. I mean, they couldn't let the guy have even an hour or a couple of hours. "Naw, lets just bite down hard... NOW!"
I was just wondering in what context Obama used the word "defeat". Depending on how it was used, I would either agree or disagree that the commentator was out of line.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:...I understand the feeling, but it was classless.

Speaking of classless...
Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration Rahm
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Benediction at Obama 's inauguration, Rev. Joseph Lowery: 'Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen. Say Amen'...

affraid
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:50 pm

LTRT wrote:
Benediction at Obama 's inauguration, Rev. Joseph Lowery: 'Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen. Say Amen'...

affraid

Yeah, that IS scary sounding. Now, I don't want to sound racist... Twisted Evil

... just biased. Cool
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:08 pm

i thought he dilivered an excellent prayer..use love not hate, inclusion not exclusion...

i am off work today and watched the whole thing, still am while my beef stroganoff finishes baking...mmmmm!! the only boo i heard was when rick warren took the stage. and not much them, but not much applause either.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:22 pm

floridafun wrote:i thought he dilivered an excellent prayer..use love not hate, inclusion not exclusion...

i am off work today and watched the whole thing, still am while my beef stroganoff finishes baking...mmmmm!! the only boo i heard was when rick warren took the stage. and not much them, but not much applause either.

I liked the prayer too, but that one part does kinda stick out like a sore(-ish?) thumb... a reminder of times past and sort of an expectation in future events.

Am I waaaay off? I think it may cause concern because, without context, that part of the speech sounds a bit like the ushering of a "new" hierarchy under the auspice of change as opposed to a more natural spread of equality.

Maybe that is the general idea he was trying to state eloquently, without intending to cause fear in "whites" that they will be treated unequally.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 pm

LTRT wrote:

affraid

I am sure AWB is having a hey day with that quote but if he had elected a white President for the first time and a white Pastor had said the same line but swap out "when black will embrace what is right" you would have no problem with that line.

I took that line as the Pastor telling all of the angry rednecks (i.e. AWB posters and readers) to embrace what is right, we have rightfully elected the first African American President now do the right thing and honor the office.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Bman wrote:I am sure AWB is having a hey day with that quote but if he had elected a white President for the first time and a white Pastor had said the same line but swap out "when black will embrace what is right" you would have no problem with that line.

I took that line as the Pastor telling all of the angry rednecks (i.e. AWB posters and readers) to embrace what is right, we have rightfully elected the first African American President now do the right thing and honor the office.

Hey now, give kuddos to the right source...Matt Drudge. Very Happy
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Bman wrote:I am sure AWB is having a hey day with that quote but if he had elected a white President for the first time and a white Pastor had said the same line but swap out "when black will embrace what is right" you would have no problem with that line.

I took that line as the Pastor telling all of the angry rednecks (i.e. AWB posters and readers) to embrace what is right, we have rightfully elected the first half African American President now do the right thing and honor the office.
Do you really believe that? He is singling out a particular race as being the ones in the wrong and every other race as their victim. How is that any different than the angry rednecks, as you say, stereotyping blacks? By the way, I fixed your post.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:27 pm

meta4 wrote:
floridafun wrote:i thought he dilivered an excellent prayer..use love not hate, inclusion not exclusion...

I liked the prayer too, but that one part does kinda stick out like a sore(-ish?) thumb... a reminder of times past and sort of an expectation in future events.

Am I waaaay off? I think it may cause concern because, without context, that part of the speech sounds a bit like the ushering of a "new" hierarchy under the auspice of change as opposed to a more natural spread of equality.

Maybe that is the general idea he was trying to state eloquently, without intending to cause fear in "whites" that they will be treated unequally.

the references to the past are because for those who lived in the 50s and 60s and 70s, and saw the daily discriminations and saw/had strong feelings one way or another about king and civil rights protests and legal proceedings etc ...this is their celebration in a unique way, regardless of race. if not for having lived in the time i did, i might have turned out to be less accepting and not understand what the big freaking race deal is. recognizing the past ignorances is a good way to help todays smart folks see the silliness of ignorant biases like letting a pharmacy employee decide what he feels like selling to whom, selective marriage rights etc. Smile
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next