The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration

+2
iberlingirl
Cincy Fan 44
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration - Page 2 Empty Re: Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 am

I thought about this a bit before posting, and I think that the idea presented was fine, and the sentiment was real and appropriate for the occasion, however the juveline way in which it was delivered was not.

What I find ironic is that he could have mentioned native americans, african americans, chinese americans etc... "Red-men" contains hundreds of individual cultures, "yellow-men" could be chinese, japanese, vietnamese, mongolian, burmese, Thai, etc... point being that instead of identifying these people by a culture neutral term, he identified these people by the color of their skin, and did so in a way that was heavy handed, cute, and utterly inappropriate.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration - Page 2 Empty Re: Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 am

pez wrote:I thought about this a bit before posting, and I think that the idea presented was fine, and the sentiment was real and appropriate for the occasion, however the juveline way in which it was delivered was not.

What I find ironic is that he could have mentioned native americans, african americans, chinese americans etc... "Red-men" contains hundreds of individual cultures, "yellow-men" could be chinese, japanese, vietnamese, mongolian, burmese, Thai, etc... point being that instead of identifying these people by a culture neutral term, he identified these people by the color of their skin, and did so in a way that was heavy handed, cute, and utterly inappropriate.

I agree Pez, I think he was trying to make a valid point and tried to be cute and rhyme the stuff but should have ended on a more poignent (sp?) note. Like screaming BLACK POWER and throwing his fist in the air, then maybe LTRT would have really went bonkers.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:25 am

Bman wrote:
pez wrote:I thought about this a bit before posting, and I think that the idea presented was fine, and the sentiment was real and appropriate for the occasion, however the juveline way in which it was delivered was not.

I agree Pez, I think he was trying to make a valid point and tried to be cute and rhyme the stuff but should have ended on a more poignent (sp?) note. Like screaming BLACK POWER and throwing his their fist in the air, then maybe LTRT would have really went bonkers.

And you're that naive to believe that those in attendance in the crowd did not do that...at least they could've picked up their garbage.
Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration - Page 2 Garbage
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:35 am

LTRT wrote:I also noticed that the "so help you God" seemed to be asked in the form of a question.

Not sure if this info was posted here on the board already... it's because that line of the oath isn't in the constitution and it's only been ad-libbed by a dozen or so presidents who've felt compelled to add that to the oath.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 am

Good point Pez. Kind of ironic that he chose to as you say ID these men by the color of their skin the day after MLK Day.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 am

LTRT wrote:
Bman wrote:

I agree Pez, I think he was trying to make a valid point and tried to be cute and rhyme the stuff but should have ended on a more poignent (sp?) note. Like screaming BLACK POWER and throwing his their fist in the air, then maybe LTRT would have really went bonkers.

And you're that naive to believe that those in attendance in the crowd did not do that...at least they could've picked up their garbage.

I am sure there are some blacks who did, but I am sure there are several racist angry white boys who felt just the opposite, huh LTRT?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 am

pez wrote:... point being that instead of identifying these people by a culture neutral term, he identified these people by the color of their skin, and did so in a way that was heavy handed, cute, and utterly inappropriate.

cheers Well said. He was trying to be "cute", his fault. Not necessarily a reflection on anyone but himself.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:29 am

Note to anyone singing "America" to millions of people. Try not to leave a big pause in between the syllables in the word 'country'. This happens around the 44 second mark.

Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:33 am

WTF is she wearing on her head? Christ woman.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:33 am

LTRT wrote:And you're that naive to believe that those in attendance in the crowd did not do that...at least they could've picked up their garbage.

Gotta have something for all the people on welfare to do. ;-) Put them to work cleaning up the place!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:09 pm

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/01/obamas_oath_faithfully_misspok.html

This is probably the best thread I've read about the oath ceremony. I didn't find one comment posted by other readers that acknowledges the fact that the president-elect is not REQUIRED say the words of the oath VERBATIM. In fact, the constitution says "or affirm" meaning that all he MUST say is "I will", or "yes".

I'm amazed at how many people falsely believe that the oath must be recited, and that not reciting it means that Obama didn't give the oath of office.

Last edited by meta4 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : misstated "required", etc.)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:23 pm

meta4 wrote:http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/01/obamas_oath_faithfully_misspok.html

This is probably the best thread I've read about the oath ceremony. I didn't find one comment posted by other readers that acknowledges the fact that the president-elect is not REQUIRED say the words of the oath VERBATIM. In fact, the constitution says "or affirm" meaning that all he MUST say is "I will", or "yes".

I'm amazed at how many people falsely believe that the oath must be recited, and that not reciting it means that Obama didn't give the oath of office.

Obama retakes oath of office after Roberts' mistake
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/21/obama.oath/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama retook his oath of office Wednesday after Chief Justice John Roberts flubbed while delivering it at Tuesday's inauguration. Roberts administered the oath the second time as well, according to the White House. The move was aimed at dispelling any confusion that might arise from Tuesday's take and erase any question that Obama is legally the president. Roberts made no comment on becoming tongue-tied Tuesday.

Oh well, everybody ought to be happy now.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 pm

cool
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 am

iberlingirl wrote:I watched but could not hear the swearing in, from the bar in Chops.

WTFG party girl... at the bar in chops before noon!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

Good point Pez. Kind of ironic that he chose to as you say ID these men by the color of their skin the day after MLK Day.

black is a blanket term for race too..how many shades of black are found in any one gathering, how many are 1st generation from elsewhere.

its my understanding the words he used are from a peo-black rights song from the civil rights battleground days and were included to show a big chunk of our old racism has now been healed.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:04 am

In 1958 I was 8 yes 8....there I said it...

And I remember vividly blacks and whites only signs......

drinking fountains and bathrooms most of the time it was white only bathrooms and no bathrooms for Blacks.

I can't recall that many blacks in Fort Lame either at least not out and seen

Our country and its beliefs have changed for the better over the years but it has taken us way too long

Way too long
Arrow Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration - Page 2 14142
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:24 am

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration - Page 2 Ddn012209peters

lol!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:34 am

roberts fall off the ladder at his vacation home a few years back must have messed his brain up, maybe we should remove him from the SC. That's the ticket ... yea ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 am

Thoughts and comments about the Inauguration - Page 2 795451
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2