The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'ACORN PAID ME IN CASH & CIGS'

+3
Markwes
Canuck
LTRT
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

'ACORN PAID ME IN CASH & CIGS' Empty 'ACORN PAID ME IN CASH & CIGS'

Post  LTRT Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:46 am

1 VOTER, 72 REGISTRATIONS
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10102008/news/politics/1_voter__72_registrations_132965.htm

Of course, we know it's just a few bad apples... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

'ACORN PAID ME IN CASH & CIGS' Empty Re: 'ACORN PAID ME IN CASH & CIGS'

Post  Canuck Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:19 pm

That just confirms how powerful a cigarette is. People will do anything for one. lol!

Correction, I should say, "some people will do anything for one"
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:01 pm

LTRT wrote:1 VOTER, 72 REGISTRATIONS
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10102008/news/politics/1_voter__72_registrations_132965.htm

Of course, we know it's just a few bad apples... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Well, regardless of how many apples, potatoe's or tomato's there are, why the F*CK is this still an issue in 2008? Nobody did anything when the chad's were hanging to repair the problem. Sounds to me like a hole in the law, and/or the process was left open intentionally.

This is not rocket surgery. No ID, No vote. Don't have one? (maybe this is the real issue, people who carry no ID)

Anyhow, 1 guy says this. It goes to show... small potato's and nothing will get fixed until the problem becomes larger.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:06 pm

meta4 wrote:

Well, regardless of how many apples, potatoe's or tomato's there are, why the F*CK is this still an issue in 2008? Nobody did anything when the chad's were hanging to repair the problem. Sounds to me like a hole in the law, and/or the process was left open intentionally.

This is not rocket surgery. No ID, No vote. Don't have one? (maybe this is the real issue, people who carry no ID)

I was thinking about that Meta, you would think that you have to provide proof of citizenship, residence etc before they take your information.
I don't enough about your voting requirements to comment really. I just thought this would be the obvious rule.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 pm

I guess I'm confused... granted it's an issue that someone can fill out 72 voter registration forms, but I cant figure out why or how people are saying that this remotely creates an advantage for Obama??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:27 pm

Canuck wrote:I was thinking about that Meta, you would think that you have to provide proof of citizenship, residence etc before they take your information.
I don't enough about your voting requirements to comment really. I just thought this would be the obvious rule.
I can't tell you the requirements for registering to vote, but as far as actual voting itself, it's up to the individual states. The last I knew, only 3 states require government-issued photo ID to vote, Indiana being one of them. Historically, democrats have opposed requiring identification because they say it would suppress voter turnout among minorities, the poor, and the elderly. I'm pretty sure you can get a photo ID from the license branch just for that purpose, so I don't know why there is any opposition.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:29 pm

pez wrote:I guess I'm confused... granted it's an issue that someone can fill out 72 voter registration forms, but I cant figure out why or how people are saying that this remotely creates an advantage for Obama??
I don't know the answer to that either. Maybe this isn't the brightest group in the world.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Markwes wrote:
pez wrote:I guess I'm confused... granted it's an issue that someone can fill out 72 voter registration forms, but I cant figure out why or how people are saying that this remotely creates an advantage for Obama??
I don't know the answer to that either. Maybe this isn't the brightest group in the world.

What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:04 pm

meta4 wrote:What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis?
I was talking about the ACORN people telling this guy to register multiple times. Maybe I should have referred to them as "that one". Smile
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:05 am

My problem with ACORN (and any group that actively bothers solicits people in parking lots or street corners to register to vote) is that it seems very underhanded to me. Seems like they're 'profiling' and going up to people that look poor, or they're a minority, etc. Would they ever approach me? I doubt it, unless they are going door to door in the neighborhood.

And I look at voting/registering to vote this way. In this day and age, it's no BIG SECRET how to get registered to vote. Hop on-line and look it up. If you don't have a computer, go to the library. Call a friend, see a neighbor if you still don't know. If someone is too lazy dumb uneducated to figure how to register to vote (if they're not already), then I seriously question their ability to cast a ballot on important issues. But I guess that's the nature of the beast, we'll always have individuals voting who don't know anything about the candidates/issues and just blindly punch a particular name because they saw that name on a sign before they voted, or vote for the party their parents voted for, or worse yet vote for a man over a woman because they're sexist.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:30 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:My problem with ACORN (and any group that actively bothers solicits people in parking lots or street corners to register to vote) is that it seems very underhanded to me. Seems like they're 'profiling' and going up to people that look poor, or they're a minority, etc. Would they ever approach me? I doubt it, unless they are going door to door in the neighborhood.

And I look at voting/registering to vote this way. In this day and age, it's no BIG SECRET how to get registered to vote. Hop on-line and look it up. If you don't have a computer, go to the library. Call a friend, see a neighbor if you still don't know. If someone is too lazy dumb uneducated to figure how to register to vote (if they're not already), then I seriously question their ability to cast a ballot on important issues. But I guess that's the nature of the beast, we'll always have individuals voting who don't know anything about the candidates/issues and just blindly punch a particular name because they saw that name on a sign before they voted, or vote for the party their parents voted for, or worse yet vote for a man over a woman because they're sexist.

Ok Cincy ... yes, if you were shopping at a location where we were registering voters you would have been asked if you were a registered voter. Yes, we did not target Aboite township for our voter registration drives, not our demographic. And sorry ... yes uneducated people are allowed to vote, the evangelibans elected George W. Bush once. If you think you need to pass an IQ test to vote then I say the govt should institute a limit on the number of kids one can have too.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:32 am

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis?
I was talking about the ACORN people telling this guy to register multiple times. Maybe I should have referred to them as "that one". Smile

Having been deeply involved in voter registration efforts since March I don't know what having a single person register several times at the same address accomplishes. One vote, one person, one address? I could turn in 1,000 voter registration forms for myself and I would only get to vote one time. Registering dead people to vote and then sending someone else there to vote is one thing, but...the situation Mark presented has no bearing on the election.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:38 am

Bman wrote:And sorry ... yes uneducated people are allowed to vote, the evangelibans elected George W. Bush once.
Hey, I voted for W twice, are you calling me "uneducated"? And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't your friend that I had the abortion discussion with at Fricker's also vote for W? Are you calling her uneducated? Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Bman wrote:And sorry ... yes uneducated people are allowed to vote, the evangelibans elected George W. Bush once.
Hey, I voted for W twice, are you calling me "uneducated"? And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't your friend that I had the abortion discussion with at Fricker's also vote for W? Are you calling her uneducated? Laughing

YES and foolish
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:41 am

Well Bman, in a few years when we white guys are in the minority, I feel secure with the knowledge that you'll be out there hopefully targeting/profiling me then. Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:08 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Well Bman, in a few years when we white guys are in the minority, I feel secure with the knowledge that you'll be out there hopefully targeting/profiling me then. Laughing

You suppose the McCain camp was registering voters in the all black neighborhoods? I can tell you, that answer is NO. The Obama campaign was at Gay Pride where was McCain? No where to be seen. We all target our demographics. We are better off spending our time at the Southgate Krogers than we are at the Coventry Krogers. We figured the McCain camp would register all of the Aboite township voters but lo and behold McCain does not have a campaign office in NE Indiana. He knows you guys are all sheep and will do as you have always done. He is taking you for granted, that is worse than us registering voters in District 5 and 6 here in Fort Wayne.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Well Bman, in a few years when we white guys are in the minority, I feel secure with the knowledge that you'll be out there hopefully targeting/profiling me then. Laughing

That's gonna be a while man... you sure you can wait that long?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:16 am

Bman wrote:You suppose the McCain camp was registering voters in the all black neighborhoods? I can tell you, that answer is NO. The Obama campaign was at Gay Pride where was McCain? No where to be seen. We all target our demographics. We are better off spending our time at the Southgate Krogers than we are at the Coventry Krogers. We figured the McCain camp would register all of the Aboite township voters but lo and behold McCain does not have a campaign office in NE Indiana. He knows you guys are all sheep and will do as you have always done. He is taking you for granted, that is worse than us registering voters in District 5 and 6 here in Fort Wayne.
I think you have the sheep reference backwards. Basically, you are coercing uninformed people who have no interest in the election into registering for the only purpose of getting them to vote for your guy. It's kind of like switching parties during the primary to vote for the lesser candidate on the other ticket, legal but unethical.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:31 am

Markwes wrote:
Bman wrote:You suppose the McCain camp was registering voters in the all black neighborhoods? I can tell you, that answer is NO. The Obama campaign was at Gay Pride where was McCain? No where to be seen. We all target our demographics. We are better off spending our time at the Southgate Krogers than we are at the Coventry Krogers. We figured the McCain camp would register all of the Aboite township voters but lo and behold McCain does not have a campaign office in NE Indiana. He knows you guys are all sheep and will do as you have always done. He is taking you for granted, that is worse than us registering voters in District 5 and 6 here in Fort Wayne.
I think you have the sheep reference backwards. Basically, you are coercing uninformed people who have no interest in the election into registering for the only purpose of getting them to vote for your guy. It's kind of like switching parties during the primary to vote for the lesser candidate on the other ticket, legal but unethical.

HILARIOUS ... we are coercing people!!!! LOL Unethical is disenfranchising people's right to vote. We can register 100,000 in Allen County but if they don't go vote it means nothing. Coersion ... give me a flippin break.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:48 am

Bman wrote:HILARIOUS ... we are coercing people!!!! LOL Unethical is disenfranchising people's right to vote. We can register 100,000 in Allen County but if they don't go vote it means nothing. Coersion ... give me a flippin break.
Okay Bman, give me an example of anytime anyone has been deprived of the right to vote.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Markwes wrote:I think you have the sheep reference backwards. Basically, you are coercing uninformed people who have no interest in the election into registering for the only purpose of getting them to vote for your guy. It's kind of like switching parties during the primary to vote for the lesser candidate on the other ticket, legal but unethical.
Markwes wrote:
Bman wrote:HILARIOUS ... we are coercing people!!!! LOL Unethical is disenfranchising people's right to vote. We can register 100,000 in Allen County but if they don't go vote it means nothing. Coersion ... give me a flippin break.
Okay Bman, give me an example of anytime anyone has been deprived of the right to vote.

This is almost laughable Markwes. Sounds like you are asking Bman for an example to help you make your point.

Until you said registering people to vote, basically doing a little 'ground pounding' for a candidate, is coercive, and unethical but legal?

By this line of thinking are we to suppose that PSA's like 'Schoolhouse Rock' we saw as kids equally coercive and unethical?

Last edited by meta4 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:17 pm

Bman wrote:We are better off spending our time at the Southgate Krogers than we are at the Coventry Krogers.

Actually, I bet the lower class out number the upper class at this Krogers 3 to 1.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:20 pm

"Conjunction Junction, what's your function?"

Sorry, couldn't resist after reading Meta's Schoolhouse Rock reference... Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:32 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:"Conjunction Junction, what's your function?"

Sorry, couldn't resist after reading Meta's Schoolhouse Rock reference... Laughing

There's a CD I once copied from a coworker that had a good cover of that song, all jazzed up. Wish I could find that again. I think Better Than Ezra did it... maybe this is it...

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?artist=470&vid=8049

Edit: The original (beans 'n rice version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo

Last edited by meta4 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:34 pm

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:"Conjunction Junction, what's your function?"

There's a CD I once copied from a coworker that had a good cover of that song, all jazzed up. Wish I could find that again. I think Better Than Ezra did it... maybe this is it...

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?artist=470&vid=8049

There is a CD called Schoolhouse rocks, ROCKS!

It is full of SHR cover tunes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next